Thursday, January 3, 2008

The Thing About Blogs...

Anyone who knows anything about me knows I like to study people & behavior;  to know and understand why we do what we do.  Know, know, know.  And I've gone through phases in how I feel about them - naivete, hate, apathy, love, apathy...  The usual.  

Being an idealist at heart, one of the most important lessons I've learned about people (besides expectation=disappointment) is that you have to know your limits with them.  Some are very trustworthy.  Some will break your heart.  Some will never listen to anyone.  Some will devastate you with a loyalty that endures the ages.  It is necessary to accept this.


"But doesn't this restrict your relationships?",  you might ask.  Do lines on a map limit the potential of a city?  Absolutely not.  Learning, and re-learning, this lesson makes my friendships more enjoyable. For example, I don't share intimate details with my friends possessing the gift of gab.  By doing so, I keep them out of the precarious position of having to "keep a secret".   If I'm looking to go out and have a great time, I'll most likely call my extroverted, social butterfly friends who will probably already have an agenda.  And then there are some who I just love to listen to.  It's very liberating.

It's great having unique conversations with my friends and family.  Like how my sisters remind me to care for my practical needs, or how Erin and I can go off on tangents about how in my mind, she's a winged and glittery forest creature who rides a two-toned striped glow worm with green jelly for blood.  Then there are the endless hours Ryan and I can spend swapping theories of personality nuances and illustrating life in "N" metaphors or how Roger and I can be perfectly content saying nothing at all.  I think of it like a beautifully patched quilt.

The thing about a blog is... it tempts me to defy this rule.  How?  Because to me, an enjoyable blog is one that is, at the very least, honest, open, and informative.  So how do I openly share my ideas, thoughts, feelings, without crossing these trusted boundaries?  Will the universe unravel if I do?  No.  But it may get messier.  

-=-


-=-

            I'm up for the challenge.  Are you?              

_________________________________________

"If they were all one member, where would the body be?  But now, they are many members, yet one body.  The eye cannot say to the hand: 'I have no need of you'; or, again, the head [cannot say] to the feet: "I have no need of you." - 1 Corinthians 12:19-21 NWT

2 comments:

  1. we're content saying nothing because we're watching movies all the time.

    ReplyDelete