Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Ayn Rand Phil Donahue Interview Part 1 of 5

As part of a casual discussion of the links between Objectivism & Darwinism, a friend of mine sent me this video of an interview with Ayn Rand by Phil Donahue.  (Thanks Darkus)

It speaks for itself.

I've read two of Ayn's books - The Fountainhead and Anthem. Both were very enjoyable and a quick read.  They also came highly recommended by some good people.  Like most things though, they contain truths and untruths.  

In theory, I agree with Ayn on the importance of having a healthy sense of pride in our accomplishments as opposed to fake humility or contrived self-depracation.   She takes it a bit too far, though, when it comes to her thoughts on God and religion.  I don't agree with her at all on that topic.  That part of the interview is in video 3 of 5 in the sequence which can be found on YouTube.  Phil provides a sharp and strong retort to her claims.  Definitely thought-provoking, to say the least.  I have a lot more to say on this, but I'll stop here.  

Enjoy


4 comments:

  1. Very interesting conversation, PD is awesome, he's sharp cheddar. I'm not sure if she can see that as people follow a loving creator, she chooses to follow a man's wisdom and her own as the supreme gift from "nature". What is more foolish? If following God is more foolish, I'm glad he told me himself through the bible that it would appear that way to the world...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oOOh nice! good thought.

    the interview basically gets uglier and uglier and motives start to emerge and reveal themselves... and unfortunately, my respect for her dwindles.. and though shes sharp and quick witted, throws her intelligence into question by tossing up the complexity of creation to simply "nature"

    ReplyDelete
  3. what's wrong with contrived self-depracation?

    great youtube tip, and thanks for describing fountainhead as a quick-read. i think it took me 6 months to get through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it took me about 1 year. But I do remember loving it but needing to actually devote time to it. I finished the fountainhead in the hospital. I was amazed about the number of people that commented on me reading the book. After listening to pt 2 of the interview, I could see how she developed the characters. I particularly loved the guy that was true to the building style that he was doing (not Peter). I could understand what I loved about him while she was explaining how men should be true to their emotions. I felt that honesty in this particular character was rare & something to be greatly sought after--as far as wanting to have a relationship with this guy. Yet, as a woman potentially in a relationship with this guy I would be completely vulnerable. Or, at least that's what I thought of at the time. But in this day there are so many people out to hurt another I don't know that it's realistic to lay yourself open to just anyone--unless you, yourself are very strong & are willing to say "who cares what you think" & simply move on. I find that even more rare. Jeez, I hope that makes sense. I don't want to reread. Hope I don't sound like an idiot. If so, sorry, I'll have to just move on...LOL

    ReplyDelete