Tuesday, January 1, 2008

The Biggest Loser




There was a "The Biggest Loser" marathon on Bravo today that I caught with one eye and one ear while I obsessed over my new blog and the difference between RSS and Atom feeds (click here if you're interested in reading about the differences, thanks to Chrissie for the reference).

I wish they would focus a little more on what these people are actually eating, but other than that what a great premise. I especially like that before the finale, they make the finalists spend weeks at home trying to lose the weight on their own so the fuel of competition motivates them in their natural habitat which helps for a smoother transition into regular life.

It seems inevitable that there will one day be a "Real World" type version of this show where, in the spirit of dirty competition, people start swapping ring dings for low-fat snack wells or twinkies for tofu ( I know they look nothing alike but it could happen!). I really hope it doesn't happen but I'm sure it's on its way.

Then there's the question of, is this show really encouraging to the overweight people of America? Do some watch and think "wow, all I need is an overpriced trainer, fat camp, a nutritionist, paid healthy meals, and lots of time away from my job, family, and other obligations... and voila!" (discouragement ensues) or does seeing people lose all this weight, regardless of the method, provide enough inspiration to others with the same desire?


On a more technical note, I changed the default setting that was only allowing gmail users to post comments so now everyone should be able to post with no obligation.

Also, if you'd like to subscribe to this blog, click the "Subscribe to: Atom (posts)" link at the bottom of this page (or the the link I just posted). Then click the "Subscribe in Mail" link on the bottom right. Depending on your browser, you may have a blue and white "RSS" icon in the URL box that can also redirect you.

1 comment: