Thursday, November 20, 2008

A Passing Thought about Shame & Money




I work with filthy rich people and modestly lower class people.  For the last week, someone at my job has had to take the bus to work because they can't afford to pay the mechanic bill and have their car released.

Meanwhile, there are VP's that have multiple houses, cars, children left unattended.  The American Dream, if you will.  And though they're easily making 6 figures, they try their best to stay grounded and in touch with "the little guy".  They do a decent job of it, too.  In fact, one of my bosses drives a Ford Freestyle that I have yet to see clean.  It draws little to no attention because it's not much to look at.  I'm sure this is intentional and is probably the least expensive of all his cars.  I respect that he sacrifices affordable luxury for utilitarian simplicity all for the sake of being more accessible.  I have even wondered if these financially blessed people are ever ashamed of their wealth while they are among the skilled laborers in weathered construction vests, or while talking to foreman who give off that special hint of something extra as they pass by. 

After thinking about it for a bit, I came to this simple conclusion:

People should never be ashamed of how much money they have or do not have.  What is worthy of their pride or shame is how they received what they have, be it riches or poverty.

No comments:

Post a Comment